Talk Colorado Wine & Colorado's Wine Country: Eugenia Bone's Sunset Magazine Spread on Colorado's Wine Country

Monday, September 29, 2008

Eugenia Bone's Sunset Magazine Spread on Colorado's Wine Country

In case you missed it, here is Eugenia Bone's mid summer Sunset Magazine article. Bone is probably the area's preeminent living author, writing the memoir/cookbook At Mesa's Edge: Cooking and Ranching in Colorado's North Fork Valley.

"Colorado: The next wine country: There's seriously good wine among Colorado's red rocks: 9 best wineries you've never heard of," Bone writes:

"I didn't even know wine existed in Colorado the summer of 1998, when I moved from New York City to a run-down ranch near Grand Junction. In fact, I was quite sure I was going to die of thirst. So I brought my own: crisp, lemony Pinot Grigio and rough Primitivo.

"Ten years later, those wines are still in the basement. That's because it took all of about one week to discover that I had relocated to the fringes of an extraordinary wine scene.

"After that first summer, I was hooked. Not only on the wine, but also on the adventure of following funky little signs down dusty roads and finding gems, the realms of winemakers who had a dream to plant green vineyards among the red rocks. Try one or all of our Colorado wine tours, and you'll be hooked too.

"TRIP 1: THE GRAND VALLEY"

"For power tasters and spirit seekers'

"One very hot August day, I was standing in the cup of a cliff formation at Colorado National Monument, looking out over the Grand Valley, when I heard, suddenly and dramatically, the sound of a huge bird — eagle? pterodactyl? — swooping over my head. I ducked and looked over the cliff edge to see where the bird had gone. There was no bird, but below me was a verdant vineyard, green and rich with vines.

"Later that day, as I sipped a muscular Cabernet Sauvignon at Two Rivers Winery (one of 21 wineries in this most established of Colorado's appellations), I resisted telling the kind pourer that a winged spirit led me there. You just never know how that kind of story is going to come off. But I do feel there is a holy connection between the high drama of the Grand Valley's scenery and the region's many fine wines. Goût du terroir, indeed."

You can read the rest of the Sunset Magazine article here.

No comments:

Travel Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Blog Directory Adsense Alternatives Blog Directory Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory Superblog Directory GeekySpeaky: Submit Your Site! A1 Web Links - Hotels ResourcesWebforWedding.com - The Colorado wedding directory that includes Grand Junction wedding locations, photographer, planners, and much more. Free Web Directory - Add Your Link
The Little Web Directory
Add url directory